Friday 3 June 2011

Hasta luego

Unfortunately I couldn't attend the ending party, so I leave you this as a farewell. It was mentioned in the class when we had to do the process analysis and I remembered that this one was one of my favourites from Julio Cortázar's "Instructions Manual". I feel that it looks better in Spanish, but anyway I hope you can enjoy it like I do. My best wishes for all of you!

Instructions for wind the watch

Death stands there in the background, but don't be afraid. Hold the watch down with one hand, take the clock’s key with two fingers, and rotate it smoothly. Now, another installment is opened, trees spread their leaves, boats run races, like a fan time continues filling with itself, and from that burgeon of air, the breezes of earth, the shadow of a woman, the sweet smell of bread.

What more do you want, what more do you want? Quickly, tie it to your wrist, let it tick away in freedom, imitate it greedily. Fear will rust all the anchors, everything that could be achieved and was forgotten is corroding the watch's veins, cranking the cold blood of its tiny rubies. And death is there in the background if we don’t run and arrive before and understand it's already unimportant.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely, Raquel! Thanks for sharing it. Although I do agree ... some things are better left said in Spanish ... :)
    All the best in the future!

    ReplyDelete